Difference between: Antibiotics
- Antibiotics are the chemical substances which prevent growth and development of microorganisms by killing them.
- Antibiotics are effective only against bacteria.
- Antibiotics may be applied internally as well as externally.
- During surgical procedure to prevent infections, antibiotics are usually applied.
- Examples of antibiotics: penicillin, neomycin, streptomycin etc.
Difference Between: Antiseptics
- Antiseptics also prevents the growth and development of microorganisms but not necessarily kills them.
- Antiseptics are effective against wide range of microorganisms.
- Antiseptics are applied externally.
- Antiseptics are generally applied on skin and wound surface for cleaning purpose and prevents further growth of microorganisms.
- Examples of antiseptics: Hydrogen Peroxide, Alcohol etc.,