|Advantages of Thin layer Chromatography (TLC)|
Some of the advantages of Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) are as follows:-
- Less equipment is required.
- Very little time for separation is required.
- It is more sensitive.
- The lower detection limit of analytical sample in TLC is approximately one decimal lower than that is paper chromatography and very small quantities of sample is sufficient for analysis.
- Spraying with corrosive agents for identification is also permitted which is not possible in paper chromatography as cellulose gets destroyed.
- This method is used for adsorption, partition, ion exchange chromatography as there is wide range of adsorbents available.
- The individual samples do not get diffused as compared to paper chromatography hence sensitivity of detection is more.
- The components which are separated can be recovered easily by scratching the powdery coating of plate and quantitative separation of spots or zone are possible.
- It is possible to visualize the components for identification by UV light as the inorganic adsorbent background does not floresce.
- This method can be applied to preparative separation with the help of thicker layers of adsorbents.