Advantages of FTIR are:-
- FTIR stands for Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy is highly sensitive and quick method to achieve high quality spectrum.
- This spectroscopy gives better signal to noise ratio compared to the dispersive instrument.
- With FTIR, spectrum can be obtained very quickly and saves time.
- Gases, solids as well as liquid can be analysed with FTIR.
- By using FTIR no external calibration is required and gives accurate results.
- FTIR is non-destructive technique.
- Organic compounds and Inorganic compounds can be identified easily using fourier transform infrared spectroscopy.
- Mechanical breakdown is less compared to other instruments because the mirror which is attached in the interferometer is the only moving part in FTIR.
- Simultaneous analysis can be done for multiple gaseous compounds.
- FTIR can identify even small concentrations of contaminants.
- FTIR has a laser beam which keeps the FTIR instrument accurately calibrated.
- It generally completes a scans within 1 to 2 seconds.
- High resolution.
Disadvantages of FTIR are:-
- FTIR instrument have only single beam while , dispersive instrument generally have a double beam.
Recommended article: What is FTIR