Question: What is the importance of chemistry in pharmacy?
What is the importance of chemistry for pharmacist? Why should we pharmacist have to learn chemistry? So let us find out the importance and role of chemistry in pharmaceutical industry. As we all know that, directly or indirectly chemistry is related to pharmacy. So below are some of the points where chemistry plays an important role. Let us check it out.
Answer: Different aspects of the pharmaceutical chemistry are as follows:
- As we all know that chemistry is the base of the pharmacy. Without chemistry, any pharmacist cannot understand the chemical formula of drug. Hence he cannot design new drugs without a good knowledge of chemistry.
- If the pharmacist does not know about chemistry then he cannot prescribe drugs to the patients.
- Any drug or medicine or drug which is used contains chemicals so it can only be understood by the person who knows chemistry.
- By making changes in the chemical structure pharmacist makes drug more potent and reduces side effects.
- With the knowledge of organic chemistry pharmacist synthesize new drug or a molecule.
- Pharmacist discover new drugs only using knowledge of chemistry.
So we can say that chemistry is the base for pharmacy and every pharmacist must have good knowledge of chemistry. This are some of the points from which we can say that chemistry plays an very important role in pharmacy.
- Structure activity relationship (SAR)
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
This are some of the terms widely used in pharmacy which relates directly or indirectly to chemistry.