Advantages of instrumental methods:-
- A small amount of a sample is needed for analysis.
- Determination by instrumental method is considerably fast.
- Complex mixture can be analysed either with or without their separation.
- Sufficient reliability and accuracy of results are obtained by instrumental method.
- When non-instrumental method is not possible, instrumental method is the only answer to the problem.
Limitation of instrumental methods:-
- In general, instrumental methods are costly because of cost, maintenance and trained personnel required for their handling.
- The sensitivity and accuracy depends upon the type of instrument.
- Specialized training for handling instrument is required.
- There is frequent need of checking results with other methods.
- In some cases, instrumental method may not be specific.