Basic principle of FTIR Spectroscopy are as follows:-
- FTIR spectroscopy is used to identify the functional group which is present in certain molecules.
- FTIR is one of the widely used method which is also know as Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy.
- In this method of infrared spectroscopy , radiation (Infra red) is passed through the sample.
- Some of the radiation is absorbed by the sample while some of the radiation is transmitted.
- Now spectrum which is produced , represents molecular transmission and molecular absorption creating molecular fingerprint of a sample.
- The fingerprint region is unique for also samples, no two samples have same fingerprint region.
- The fingerprint region shows different absorption peaks with different vibration frequency between bonds of an atoms in the sample.
- Hence with this property unique molecule can be identified.